A Recruiter’s Thoughts: Job Searching in an Electronic Age.
Peter Standhart (email him: Peter.standhart at gmail.com — put @ in place of "at")
The process: Self Awareness. Reflection. Self Assessment.
** What are you about? Big / Small Co. Direction / No Direction, With people, No People, Entrepreneur / Corporate, Time in grade / Meritocracy
What are the 3 hurdles needed to get your dream job? (in order)
1. Skill / Intellect
3. Demonstrated Fit
What is the bull’s eye?
1. Currently employed
2. Doing well at that company
3. Performing skills needed by hiring company
The Dance of Interviewing: What’s going on?
1. Resume must show results
2. 95% selling self, 5% company selling you
Your Goal Company Goal
A) Get an offer A) Select the best person
B) Get a feel for the co. B)Sell the company to you
Types of search: Network, Direct, Recruiter, Career Builder/ Monster/ Internet.
- Internet ++ Easy to find listings, Give lot of info about a job, Easy to apply
- Internet — Employers are inundated, Doesn’t talk about fit for a role, No way to follow up, When it comes to finding a job, it’s still who you know. Personal recommendations more important than ever.
Get out there.
Look everywhere, tell everyone you’re looking. (use all types of search – not just internet)
Positioning – Competencies / Strengths (5 seconds)
Brief Personal History - Career Highlight, Bridge build (15 seconds)
Transition – Why looking? Open and Close the subject (5 seconds)
Search Goals – Career Objective (10 seconds)
Question – Clarify how you want help. Shopping vs Buying
Your most valuable asset? Your network
Linked in – Everyone signed up? Facebook – OK?
Your email address – legit and professional?
Research the company, Lean forward, lots of eye contact, be positive,
Know your resume
3 greatest accomplishments
Research the company
Lot of temp to permanent roles
Ask for the job!